August 1, 2013

Hiking in Jämtland or my father's visit

Almost two weeks ago my father came to visit me. He arrived Saturday evening and on Sunday we started our trip to Jämtland in central Sweden where we planned to hike some days. My father came with the car and so I got the possibility to drive a car after some months which I appreciated very much. After eleven hours with the car we came to the parking where we stopped to sleep in our tent. Unfortunately I forgot my sleeping bag and so we shared my father's. It got pretty cold in the night. And so we froze a bit.

our tent in front of the car

The next morning we had great weather and so we started our journey.

beautiful Sweden

mountains of Jämtland in the background

In the afternoon we came to the first cabin where we slept on some mattresses on the floor.

the mattresses on the floor that we slept on

The next day the weather was as good as the day before which made us very glad. I just had to think  back to some tours we did in the Alps where it rained all day long which was not fun at all. The only bad thing about the sun was that I got a sunburn.

me and the mountains

snow-covered mountains

my father at a summit

view to the valley

how you eat bread in the mountains

stream in the mountains

snow, water and mountains

Can you spot the reindeers? If not click on the picture to enlarge it.

We've been early arriving at the next cabin and so I decided to to a trip to a nearby glacier. My father wasn't fascinated by that idea because he was quite tired but after some talking he decided to follow me. The glacier didn't seem to be far away but in the end it took over two hours to go there and back to the cabin.

my father getting some drinking water

the glacier

names written with stones, just amazing

the glacier once more

looks cold, doesn't it?

view from the glacier in direction of the cabin

The next day we did the next step of our tour. The landscape looked like the day before. That's why I didn't take that many pictures. The last cabin was the most interesting one because it was not a fjällstation like the ones before but a fjällstuga. A fjällstation is a huge complex in the mountains that is a bit like a hotel. In contrast to that a fjällstuga is a smaller cabin just with the most important things. It is less touristic and that makes it more unique in my opinion. 

last cabin

cabin of the host

ordinary cabin kitchen that can be used by the hikers

me next to the cabin shower after refreshing myself

The last day we avoided to have too many breaks because we had the plan to come to the car around midday to go back to Linköping immediately. The reason was that we weren't keen on freezing ourselves to death again in the tent and so we hurried up.

fresh, green landscape in a valley the last day

my father next to a river

After reaching our car at around two o'clock we took a bath in a lake. It was incredibly refreshing and after that we had the power to continue.

the lake

my father preparing the last "dinner"

view out of the car in the evening

At three o'clock in the evening we reached Linköping. Tired as we were we fell asleep immediately and slept very well.
The next day we took most of the stuff in my room and put it in the car. My father drove it home last Sunday and now I'm here just with the most important things. I miss my guitar and my stereo even now. But I'll fly back to Berlin the first of September then we'll be reunified.